“Vaping, Marijuana, Opioids: What Do You Know?”
Thursday, October 5, 2019 | Plainfield East High School
Community resources available at 5 p.m.
Speaker presentations begin at 6 p.m.
Plainfield Parent Community Network flier for “Vaping Marijuana Opioids” eventInformation-packed presentations and Q&A to include:
- Understand what vaping and e-cigarettes are, the components of these devices and the health effects
- Gain awareness of the strategies that manufacturers are using to increase use among adolescents
- Learn the difference between cannabis and CBD products and their health applications
- Understand the short-term and long-term impact of marijuana use
- Identify risk factors for Opioid Use Disorder and overdose/li>
- Learn how to respond to an overdose by administering Narcan
- Become familiar with Illinois Good Samaritan laws
The presentation will be available in both English and Spanish. Childcare is available.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
>> K-12 parents, grandparents, and other concerned relatives
>> K-12 teachers, staff, and administrators
>> Counselors, psychologists, nurses, and social workers (CEUs and CPDUs are available; you must attend the entire presentation and stay for the entire Q&A)
MEET OUR DISTINGUISHED PRESENTERS
Dr. Kathleen Burke, Ph.D., Director of Substance Use Initiatives in Will County
Dr. Burke manages the Illinois Drug Overdose Prevention Project in Will County providing naloxone training to law enforcement and community members to prevent overdose deaths. As a member of the Illinois Opioid Crisis Response Advisory Council and the Will County Mobilizing for Action through Planning and Partnerships Collaborative Executive Committee she has advanced several new
programs to combat the opioid epidemic.
Dr. Aaron Weiner, Ph.D., Director, Addiction Services – Linden Oaks Behavioral Health
Dr. Weiner is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist, member of the Board for the Society of Addiction Psychology and on the Science Advisory Board for Smart Approaches to Marijuana. He is passionate about educating both healthcare providers and the general public about the nature and treatment of addiction, helping medical teams provide compassionate and competent care, and
empowering patients to be informed consumers about their options.
Thank you to our event sponsors, Linden Oaks Behavioral Health, Plainfield Counseling Center, Rosecrance, Will County, and Plainfield School District 202.